Application and Relevance This unit of competency describes the skills and knowledge required to provide a first aid response to a casualty. The unit applies to all workers who may be required to provide a first aid response in a range of situations, including community and workplace settings.
Entry Requirements Participants are required to have;
- reasonable level of verbal and written skills
- the ability to demonstrate two minutes of CPR on the floor.
Mode of Delivery and Duration Classroom training and assessment over 8 hours Dress and Equipment Requirements Learners are to attend the course in comfortable non-offensive clothing. All equipment and resources to complete the course will be supplied. Course Content Topics
- Assessing an emergency situation
- Airway and breathing management
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) techniques
- Automated External Defibrillation
- Management of the unconscious casualty
- Medical conditions including cardiac, diabetes, epilepsy
- Infection control and first aid for minor wounds
- Allergic reactions and asthma
- Control of major external bleeding and shock
- Management of near drowning
- Hyperthermia and hypothermia
- Burns and electric shock
- Eye and soft tissue injuries
- Venomous bites and stings
- Fractures and spinal injuries
- Head, chest and abdominal injuries
- Assessment of the sick and injured
- Recording vital signs
- Communicating details of an incident
- Debriefing and evaluation of response to critical incidents
Assessment Methods Progressive assessment throughout the course, including demonstration of practical skills and written and oral questions relating to underpinning knowledge.Award Issued Victorian First Aid Services and Training is responsible for the quality of training and assessment and, the issuance of the AQTF certificates.
A 50% subsidy applies to volunteers who live and volunteer in Cardinia Shire.
To enrol, please go to the Victorian First Aid website – click here
Or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
9:00 am – 4:30 pm
Victorian First Aid RTO 41360